- Hereditary: men have a hormone known as testosterone that is converted into its active form dihydrotestosterone(DHT). DHT receptors are found in hair roots. Excess of this hormone is the cause of hairloss.
- Diet: today’s diet mostly consisting of junk foods and lacking protein, vitamins and minerals also add up to the problem of hairloss
- Lifestyle: anxiety, irregular food habits, lack of sleep also contribute to hairloss
- Hormonal : Mostly affects women following pregnancy and menopause, thyroid disorders, PCOD also cause hair thinning or diffuse hairloss.
What You Need To Know About Hair Transplant?
What are the causes of hairfall?
How hair transplant is done?
Two techniques are available:
- Follicular unit Transplantation (FUT)
In this procedure, a strip of hair along with the skin from the back of the scalp of width less than 2cm is harvested. The hairs are then individually separated under microscope and implanted onto the bald area. The back side is then closed with fine sutures by trichophytic closure technique so that the scar is not visible.
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
A micromotor punch is used to individually pluck the hairs from hairsafe zone from the back of scalp and implanted onto the bald area.
What is the age limit for hair transplant?
Hair transplant can be done safely in persons of 18-65 years of age without comorbid conditions.
Does the transplanted hair grow? Do they fallout after a certain period?
Transplanted hair grows as your natural hair. You can comb it, cut it just like your natural hair. The transplanted hairs are for a lifetime. Since they donot have the androgen receptors, they tend to stay.
What is the duration?
- A hair transplant procedure lasts between 5-7hours.
- It is done under local anaesthesia(only the scalp is anaesthetised) as a daycare procedure. There is no need to stay in hospital. The patient can have food, tea n coffee during the procedure breaks.
Is it painful?
It is an entirely painless throughout the procedure.
What are the other ways to stop hairloss?
PRP, Mesotherapy and medications do prevent hairloss but their effects are transient. They should be taken only under physician’s advice.
Hair transplant is a complex procedure and is teamwork. Kindly consult your Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist prior to such procedure who are authorized for such operative techniques. Kindly refrain from lucrative advertisements and commitments to avoid complications and bad results in hair transplant.