Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery are technically closely related specialities; however, there is a difference between these two types of surgeries.
Cosmetic Surgery –
- The aim of cosmetic surgery is to aesthetically enhance a patient’s appearance. Thus, the procedures and the techniques used in this surgical procedure focuses entirely on this outcome. Cosmetic surgery aims to improve the aesthetic appeal of the part of the body on which this procedure is being performed.
- A patient makes a voluntary choice to undergo cosmetic surgery.
- Cosmetic surgery procedures can be conducted by plastic surgeons as well as doctors from various medical fields.
- Cosmetic surgery can be performed on the head, neck and all the areas of the body.
Cosmetic Surgery Procedure Includes –
- Facial Contouring – Rhinoplasty, Cheek Enhancement and Chin
- Skin Rejuvenation – Filler Treatment, Laser Resurfacing and Botox
- Body Contouring – This includes Gynecomastia Treatment, Tummy Tuck and Liposuction
- Facial Rejuvenation – Eyelid Lift, Face Lift, Neck Lift and Brow Lift
- Breast Enhancement – Reduction, Lifting and Enlargement.
Plastic Surgery –
- The aim of Plastic Surgery is to correct the defects and reconstruct the body part. This helps it to restore normal functions of the body part that is being operated upon as well as to provide a natural appearance to that part.
- It is a surgical speciality that involves the reconstruction of facial and body flaws due to birth, diseases, trauma and burns.
- Plastic surgery aims to reconstruct and enable dysfunctional body parts which will help them to function in natural and normal mode.
Plastic Surgery Procedure –
- Hand Surgery
- Burn Repair Surgery
- Reconstruction of Lower Extremities
- Repair of Congenital Defects – Repair of extremity defects and reconstruction and repair of cleft palate
- Reconstruction of breasts (after a mastectomy; also takes care of its reduction and enhancement.
- Scar Revision Surgery
Plastic surgery and cosmetic surgery both are performed to improve a patient’s body. However, the overall philosophies that guide their goals, research and training for patient’s end results are different.